Mango Shrikhand/ Aamrakhand is a traditional summer delicacy made by combining hung curd & mango purée with choice of dry fruits.
Recently, the husband returned from a work trip to Pune with a big bag of bhakarwadis & a tub of amrakhand from Pune’s famous Chitale Bandhu. The perfect blend of spices, flavour & taste of bhakarwadis is unmatched to any I have had so far! Totally worth it!
As far as amrakhand goes, it left an everlasting taste that I had to try making in my kitchen before mango season is over. In the frame is my attempt at making mango shrikhand. Sharing my simple recipe here for you all to try.
Recipe serves 3
- Hung curd: 1/2cup
- Mango: 1, roughly chopped
- Powdered sugar: 1 to 2tsp
- Green cardamom: 1no., powdered
- Saffron: a pinch, soaked in 1 tbsp warm milk
- Pistachio: 1tbsp chopped + crushed powder
1. Mix saffron strands in 1 tbsp warm milk. Let it sit.
2. Blend mango chunks, sugar & cardamom powder to a smooth purée.
3. Transfer into a mixing bowl & add hung curd. Whisk well such that no lumps remain.
4. Add the saffron soaked milk & pistachios. Mix well. Serve chilled with hot puris, rotis, phulkas or savour as is.
- For best results, use non-fibrous variety of mango such as alphonso or badami.
- In case of non-availability of such varieties, using a soup strainer, strain the mango pulp after blending to remove any fiber. This will help in achieving a smooth-textured mango shrikhand.
- To make 1/2cup hung curd: place a soup strainer on a deep vessel/ mixing bowl. Spread a muslin cloth/ handkerchief/ cotton cloth. Pour 1cup curd. Cover it with a plate. Let it sit in the refrigerator overnight for best result. Scoop out the hung curd, discard the liquid in the vessel.
- The discarded whey can be diluted and used for watering plants.
- For a variation, try adding a blend of crushed cashew nut/almond .
If you happen to try this mango shrikhand recipe; leave a comment, let me know how it turned out. Also try my other mango recipes:
Mango -Vanilla Parfait
Konkan Style Raw Mango Curry
Tropical Mango & Passion Fruit whip
Use in your posts – #theredplatechroniclesbymeenadanti
To see more of my work, follow on Instagram– @theredplatechronicles
Facebook – TheRedPlateChroniclesHave a great weekend you all!Love
7 thoughts on “Mango Shrikhand | Amrakhand”