Fried ice cream is a dessert made by quickly deep-frying a scoop of breaded ice cream, creating a warm and crispy shell around the almost frozen/cold ice cream. Needs one to be super quick in terms of frying and serving it.😅
The first time I ever heard about it was almost more than a decade ago from a friend in New York who are natives of Ahmedabad, Gujarat. They happened to mention that there was a place there which made these ice cream balls that are deep fried. I was both shocked & surprised as to how is that even possible?! All those years ago, with my limited experience & knowledge about cooking, all I could do was wonder how ice cream and deep-frying could even co-exist! As time passed, I totally forgot about it until a couple of years ago, when my hubby’s classmate happened to mention about fried ice cream. This time around, the excitement was too much to handle & I had to try making them myself. I coaxed him into getting me the recipe from her and oh boy, they turned out amazing!
Since then, this fried frozen dessert is mandatory in my home every summer.🌞🍧
Until I got down to writing this blog post, it never even occured to me to research about this dessert. Guess what…it has been around from as early as the 19th century but the origin is conflicting with references of it being first made in many countries at different points of time.
I’m sharing below the Mango Fried Ice Cream Recipe I modified over the past years.
Also, check my other mango recipes.
Mango -Vanilla Parfait
Konkan Style Raw Mango Curry
Mango Milk Shake
Tropical Mango & Passion Fruit whip
Fried Ice Cream Recipe
- Ice cream scoop – 1, tightly packed
- Corn starch – 1tbsp
- Bread crumbs – 2tbsp
- Sugar – 1tsp
- Form a tightly packed scoop of ice cream and freeze it for a couple of hours.
- In a bowl, mix corn starch, bread crumbs & sugar together. The sugar crystals add an interesting texture & flavour to the otherwise bland coating.
- Take the frozen ice cream scoop and coat it well with the bread crumbs mixture. The warmth of your palm will slightly melt the outer layer of the ice cream scoop helping the bread crumbs mixture to coat well.
- With both your palms roll the scoop well forming a smooth ball.
- Freeze this breaded ball overnight.
- On medium-high heat, quickly deep-fry the breaded ice cream ball to a brown colour.
- Serve immediately with your choice of fruit & toppings or as is. I used mango ice cream, so I served it with chunks of mango to enhance the mango experience and also because it is still in season.
If you happen to try my fried ice cream recipe; leave a comment, let me know how it turned out.
Use in your Instagram posts – #theredplatechroniclesbymeenadanti
To see more of my work, follow on Instagram– @theredplatechronicles
Facebook – TheRedPlateChronicles
Have a great day you all!
5 thoughts on “Fried Ice Cream”